RE: veritas

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>, <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 14:20:27 -0400

Having an Oracle_home on each node is ill-advised in my opinion.  It is
too easy, and I have seen it happen far too many times, that something
happens to the passive node's ORACLE_HOME that is only discovered when a
failover event occurs.  Having one ORACLE_HOME that is on the SAN and
shared between nodes is ideal - if you really want to have a spare
ORACLE_HOME so you can easily recover from bad patch applications, etc.,
then make it a habit to clone your existing home as a backup before
applying the patch, then removing that once you know the existing home
is good.

Other than that, I am a general proponent of the architecture described
below, and we have many many customers who use this design for their
veritas environments.

Thanks,

Matt