Re: utl_file question

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:57:29 -0600

Sounds like the DIRECTORY_OBJECT (the object stored in the DB data dictionary that replaces the PATH in old versions of the DB) may not be correct, or permissions to the DIRECTORY_OBJECT may not have been GRANTED to the user running utl_file.

/Hans
Note: I work for Oracle.  Opinions are my own, not my employers.

On 2018-06-20 7:31 AM, Storey, Robert (DCSO) wrote:

Working on moving some stored procedures from a 9i to an 11g system and I hit a snag with regards to utl_file.

In my stored proc, I pull a path variable, ie, d:\level1\level2 for a root level folder.  Then, as the procedure goes through the motions, it tacks on another level to this path based on some criteria.  It then writes out a flat text file to location d:\Level1\Level2\Level3.

When I tested this proc in my 11g, I kept getting an utl_file.invalid_path error.   I first took this as permissions based, but, when I gave everyone full control of the destination folder, it still gave same error.

Created a simple proc to just open and close a file.  Get the same error regardless of where I point it.  This code works perfect on the 9i, but not 11g.

A check of documents and online searching seems to point to the fact that you can’t pass UTL_FILE.FOPEN a qualified path name.  You now have to create a “Directory” object and give permssions to it, and use it as the Path.

Anyone confirm or deny?