Re: uptime

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 12:28:12 -0300

We had  one sun server with a single database with about 726 days of
uptime. Obviously nobody ever patched anything there :-P. About windows
server, the only servers I ever  asked to be rebooted weekly were a 9i RAC
on windows  2000... and every time they rebooted performance picked up
about 20%. It was only for a few weeks until we migrated it to a 10.2 RAC
on Linux, though.
If you are on at least 10.2.0.5 and on windows 2008, I don't think you need
to reboot that frequently, maybe just once a month or fortnight for
patching purposes. Also, if you see a performance benefit to rebooting,
then maybe you have an oversized SGA (probably an oversized shared pool).

cheers
Alan.-