Re: update year in date column

  • From: Mark Richard <mrichard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 08:42:36 +1100

Barbara,

You could look at using the add_months() function...  Just add -12,000
months like the statement below:

SQL> select sysdate, add_months(sysdate, -12000) from dual;

SYSDATE              ADD_MONTHS(SYSDATE,-
-------------------- --------------------
24-mar-2004 08:42:07 24-mar-1004 08:42:07

Regards,
      Mark.

                      Barbara Baker

                      <barbarabbaker@yah        To:
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      oo.com>                   cc:

                      Sent by:                  Subject:  update year in date
column
                      oracle-l-bounce@fr

                      eelists.org

                      24/03/2004 07:00

                      Please respond to

                      oracle-l

OK, I'm just going to bite the bullet and claim total
ignorance here and see if someone takes pity on me :(
(sad face a nice touch, eh?)

Someone has accidently updated 378 records in the
customer table.  The date changed from 1999 to 2099.
I need to change just the year back to 1999 for these
records.  (I'd like to keep the time stamp, if
possible.  The month and day are correct.)  I looked
on metalink, google, and asktom.  Some nice examples,
but not what I really need.

Thought I'd be clever and subtract 1000 from the date.
This works, but I don't know how to get it formatted
back into a date.

I'd prefer just sqlplus, but will use pl/sql if
necessary.

Here's what I've done so far:
(solaris 9 oracle 9.2.0.4)

JServer Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

DOC>     CUSNO CUSNAME
CRDATE
----------
DOC>    798489 GILBERT, ROSS
09/16/2099
DOC>    826744 HOEFLER, MATT
10/08/2099
DOC>    795126 FORT,  JOETTA
09/08/2099
DOC>*/

SQL>
SQL> ---select to_date(to_char(crdate,'MM/DD/YYYY'))
from customer where cusno=798489;
SQL> ---update advdb.custtest_barb
SQL>  ---set crdate= to_char(crdate,'MM/DD/YYYY'))
SQL> ---from customer where cusno=798489;
SQL>
SQL> select
to_date(to_char(crdate,'ddmmyyyy')-1000),'MM/DD/YYYY')
  2     from customer where cusno=798489;
select
to_date(to_char(crdate,'ddmmyyyy')-1000),'MM/DD/YYYY')

     *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00923: FROM keyword not found where expected

SQL>
SQL>
SQL> --- these both work
SQL> select to_char(crdate,'ddmmyyyy')  from
custtest_barb where cusno=798489;

TO_CHAR(
--------
16092099

SQL> select to_char(crdate,'ddmmyyyy') - 1000 from
custtest_barb where cusno=798489;

TO_CHAR(CRDATE,'DDMMYYYY')-1000
-------------------------------
                       16091099

Thank for any assistance.

Barb

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for
message to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet
e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate
to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and
CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
them.