Re: update a 200 - 300 row table - APEX

  • From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mathias.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 06:34:19 -0600

In addition to Mathias' suggestions, here's what I've been doing over
the last 4 years or so.

Before designing an app, think long and hard about everything that is
needed immediately (usually a separate 'page' for each aspect), and
what features may be desired later down the road, and document all of
these (i just use a simple spreadsheet).

Then, break up the pages into sections, like all search pages will be
pages 120 - 140, all system (application) maintenance pages will be
pages 1 - 110, etc. leaving plenty of exra pages in each section for
future expansion.

Future maintenance is actually fairly simple. My 'main' app has most
of the processing code in triggers and procedures.

I have about 35 data tables and around 20 lookup tables, with 71 web
pages in the app. I am just finishing up my newest search page, for a
total of 4 different options. This one will allow the user to specify
some spatial criteria, along with the other 'regular' criteria. I've
also built-in the abaility to take a Google Earth polygon and convert
that into Oracle Spatial format for searching, and also create KML
file outputs for Google Earth.

The most complicated part of my app was the searching features users
wanted. Simple editing, etc. is child's play. After you get familar
with Apex, you'll probably start moving towards creating your
'reports' manually, instead of through the wizards. You get a little
more control over how things work without some of the restrictions the
wizards require you to make (like only three fields allowed for
primary key).

The Apex forums at
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=137 are a great
source for getting answers fast, from both other users and from the
developers of the product.

Any further questions, feel free to ask away, probably off-line unless
the question could be beneficial to the others on this list.

--
-- Bill Ferguson