Re: update a 200 - 300 row table - APEX

  • From: Mathias Magnusson <mathias.magnusson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tony.adolph.dba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 07:36:00 +0200

There will probably be some answers from the APEX experts, but I'll give my
view on it.

You can build applications that are hard and easy to maintain. It is a very
similar model to Forms where you can put all kinds of triggers and database
logic in the form, or you can separate it to only have the user-interface in
forms.

I would consider the same things for APEX. Break out business logic to
separate packages, possible the SQL in its own packages and keep only the
user-interface logic in APEX. This is a general best practice (for all
development models, not specifically for APEX) as the user interface
typically is changed more often than the data structures or business logic.

That way you would not end up with code pieces buried in different places in
APEX, only what is needed to make the application display the way you want.

Mathias