up2date complaint (RHEL)

  • From: Paul Drake <bdbafh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:03:35 -0400

why is it that for RHEL after my inbox has been inndated with hundreds of
notifications of updates ... that when up2date is run via the gui (make
extra certain that you have beacoup space free under /var first) that after
it scans all of the packages that sort before "u" it says:

a newer version of up2date is available

at which point, after updating up2date, it starts all over.

Even Microsoft's update tool checks first to see if it should update itself
before downloading the hotfixes/updates.

Yeah, I know - I should just manually run up2date from the command line
first and direct it to fetch the up2date rpm first.

happing patching:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS05-051.mspx

Paul