RE: truncate command internal behavior

  • From: "Kevin Closson" <kevinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:06:49 -0700

 >>>Third, a bit of curiosity: Does the time to truncate vary
>>>with the buffer cache size? That would imply a horribly
>>>blown cache search which I certainly hope is not the case.

...hoping JL will comment, but I can recall from experience
that in 8i (can't remember if R1,R2 or R3), a VLM size SGA
would take forever to truncate a table as the server process
had to walk all the chains to invalidate the buffers ...
that smoked a single CPU for a long time on a large SGA....

I routinely use 20+ GB SGAs and have not seen that in 9i or
10g.

FWIW