trigger problem

  • From: "David Boyd" <davidb1588@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 09:15:18 -0400

Hi List,

I created a trigger that inserts an entry into an audit table for each row
AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE
OR DELETE on following table:

CREATE TABLE test
(
  col1           NUMBER(10)        NOT NULL,
  col2           NUMBER(10)        NOT NULL,
  col3           CHAR(8 BYTE)     NOT NULL,
  col4           CHAR(8 BYTE)     NOT NULL,
  col5           CHAR(8 BYTE)     NOT NULL,
  col6           NUMBER(10)        NOT NULL,
  col7           NUMBER(6,2),
  col8           NUMBER(10),
  col9           NUMBER(10),
  col10          NUMBER(10),
  col11                          NUMBER(10),
  col12                       NUMBER(10),
  col13                         NUMBER(10),
  col14                       NUMBER(10),
  col15                       NUMBER(5,2),
  col16                       VARCHAR2(4000 BYTE),
  col17                       VARCHAR2(4000 BYTE),
  col18                       NUMBER(2),
  col19                       CHAR(1 BYTE)
)

The trigger inserts an entry for updating on each field and for each field
on deleting if the field is not null.  So the trigger is 237 lines long.
When I tried to delete a record from the test table that each field has a
value, I got following error:

ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: number precision too large

I know the error is not related to the length of field.  I can delete some
records that a part of fields have value successfully.  It seems to me the
trigger buffer is too small.  Some books indicate each trigger must be less
than 32K in size.  I did not have any issue to compile the trigger.  Does
32K also include the contents when the trigger fires?

Thanks for any advice.

David