RE: transition from win32 to *nix64

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:57:12 -0800 (PST)

--- DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Paul - How strong is your *nix background?

Just Linux, starting with RH 5.1.
read lots of texts (Cockroft, Alomari, Morle)
and maintain 3 RH servers currently.
I think that I have 2 years of experience, 4 times
over, not 8 years of experience.

> My theory is that moving to a new
> platform produces frustration. Things you could do
> easily on the old system
> are difficult on the new system until you
> incorporate the mindset of the new
> system. Frustration is more easily dealt with when
> you understand that it is
> just a temporary inconvenience. Just my 2 cents
> worth.
>
> Dennis Williams
> DBA
> Lifetouch, Inc.
> dwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks for your comments, Dennis.
The real indicator is how things are during a
restore/recovery scenario.
I haven't practiced those yet on Linux.

Doesn't reading slashdot since its inception make one
a grepmaster? I think that I have some of the mindset.
Having an impressive shelf full of animals does not
make one a good SA (there is quite the O'Reilly
collection at home).

There's lots of details specific to any OS, like
choosing optimal filesystems, getting async_io to work
properly, but most of those are solved problems thanks
to those on the list that blaze that trail for the
rest of us (thanks Joe, Nuno).

Paul