tnsManager Vs OID

  • From: sundar mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:21:43 -0400

Hi Gurus,
This request is intended to Mark Bobak or anyone using/familiar with
tnsManager. I came across the recommendation of using tnsManager in
place of OID for the use of names resolution in Martin Bach's mail to
the list about "Use of OID for name resolution". I did not want to
hack his thread and hence created a separate one. This is completely
for my knowledge.

I would like to hear from anyone on the following:
1) Memory footprint of tnsManager is 2MB and requires 500KB diskspace.
What are the OID usage statistics?
2) Both tnsManager and OID are free with regard to names resolution.
What other priced features/options does OID offer other than names
resolution?

Kindly pardon my ignorance on OID. Many Thanks for your help.