RE: tkprof and parse count?

  • From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 08:42:36 -0600

Others have answered most of this; I'll add a summary...

1. You can tell whether timed_statistics was activated by checking your
raw trace data. If you see any non-zero value for a tim field, it was
on.

2. The Oracle kernel gets its CPU time statistics from calls to the
getrusage system call (times on HP-UX). The getrusage function gets the
information from the OS process table. Except on Solaris with microstate
accounting activated, the OS process table gets its CPU statistics by
sampling at 0.01-second intervals. Of course, data sampled at
0.01-second intervals are accurate only to +/-0.01 seconds per sample.
For events that execute on the order of microseconds, odds are that
there will be significant error. But summing these values over a large
sample (like in a big trace file) still makes sense.

Full details (pictures, etc.) about all this are in the book "Optimizing
Oracle Performance."

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 3/23 Park City, 4/6 Seattle
- Hotsos Symposium 2004: March 7-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...