Re: title

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: shrekdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 10:12:06 -0300

I don't think comparing your salary to others' is a good way to measure it.
There's always going to be someone who's a better negotiator or who appeared
to know more than they do or that have some connections. I'm not saying
that's fair, but it is, so you might get a little frustrated and step on a
few toes if you try to increase your salary based on the premise "I do more,
so I should earn more". I know it's extremely annoying to find that someone
who can't really perform the task of a Sr. DBA has the same title as salary
as you, when half the team comes to you with questions ranging from "how do
I connect as sysdba in this windows environment" to "could you describe the
finer points of RAC architecture?"
I put forward, then, that while you should check the market mean for a DBA
on your city, comparing your salary to other members of your organization is
not a good idea, instead try to see if you can live comfortably and save
some money on your current salary. If you find that you need to struggle to
live as you want (hopefully you know how to manage your money and won't go
for any too extravagant) and save what you want, then you should ask for a
raise (and emphasize what you do right and not what others do wrong) or seek
a jump in your salary by changing jobs which as a DBA with your
qualifications should be fairly easy, though the current economy may not
allow for it.

hth
Still Batman.
Alan.-