Re: the joy of version numbers

  • From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 09:48:18 -0600

On 22/05/2013 7:13 AM, Patrice sur GMail wrote:
> Oracle version numbers are fun, aren't they?
I've noticed that even Oracle does not understand them.

According to the DBA Guide, Chapter 1, there is a known pattern that was
intended to include the Oracle App Server group - but apparently neither
the OAS nor the WebLogic Server groups read Database documentation so
they created their own variants.

And then the EM group decided to go on their own, somewhere in left
field in which 'Releases' are what everyone else calls 'Patch Sets'.  Oh
well.

Add to that the Marketing Brand (9i, 10g, 11g, 12c ...) which confuses
everyone, and the consistency between brand and version (WebLogic Server
12c (12.1.1), WebLogic
Server 11g (10.3.6) as on and we have a lot of wailing and gnashing of
teeth.

I'm sure  interns are not involved - it appears too deliberately
disorganized to have been accomplished by novices unless perhaps over
Tequila Parties ...

At least they are using a 'registery' called the Oracle Inventory to
hold a database of component versions that have been installed. Although
that database is in XML !?!?? (Perhaps someone should write an External
Table.  Like Tom Kyte's External Table mapping on the Alert.log ...)

/Hans