RE: the joy of version numbers

  • From: "Rich Jesse" <rjoralist2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 13:27:37 -0500 (CDT)

Starting to get off-topic here, but regarding OFA, I unfortunately did not
include a 4-digit version directory in the $OH path.  I will be doing that
on new servers.  I also use a modified version of OFA where "/oradata" is
not under $ORACLE_BASE.  I spend a fair amount of time in the command line
at some level of the "/admin" directory, whether it be scripting,
maintenance, or looking through logs.  I do not want to accidentally be
anywhere near the data when I'm "rm"ing.  In a related note, I also don't
care for the redo extension of ".log", which Cary has kindly explained here
in the past.

So I use a modified OFA.  I hope I've been "Thinking Clearly" :) and changed
what parts of those wonderful guidelines that I determined needing changing
for my installations.  I think that's part of a DBA's duties.

And now that I understand the reasoning behind the "/unn" naming in OFA
(Cary's explanation), I'll probably be stepping away from it.  For this
install.  Maybe not for the next one...

"It depends"  :)

Rich