RE: testing recovery

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brian.zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx, chris.stephens@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 14:11:06 -0700 (PDT)

While I agree that the use of restore validate is a good practice, I would
strongly disagree that it takes the place of actual restore testing. This is
true with respect to DR or non-DR.

I say this for several reasons:

You will discover potential infrastructure issues that exist that could impact
your ability to restore the database. For example, if you had to restore it to
a different set of hardware, can that hardware access the tape pool. If not,
how do you deal with that.

Another reason is experience and preparation for the DBA.

There are other perfectly valid reasons...

It sounds like cost is an issue here. If you are running on linux or win then
spinning up a 1tb sandbox should not be that cost prohibitive. This might also
be a use case for OVM.

With respect to management and addressing these kind of demands from
management, this is where a well crafted and approved backup and recovery
policy comes into play and costs are addressed.

During the policy vetting process, costs must be associated with policy
directives. This gives management an up-front look at the costs related to the
policy they are approving. Then the question of "do we spend the money" becomes
academic because they signed up for it. Don't want to spend the money, fine.
Remove the policy item, eliminate the cost and make management sign off on it.

With new requirements such as this one, you simply say, "no, it is not part of
our policy" and you build process around updating that policy to reflect the
new standard(s) and costs. So, your answer is policy based, and the solution is
not a quick and dirty race to implement the brainchild idea of management but
rather a repeatable process to define policy and standards and a way to modify
those standards that makes sense to the org.

My opinion... I know there are those who scoff at policy and the like, but when
used properly it can help avoid headaches and the demands of the random
executive who gets a new idea in his head. It is also a very useful CYA tool.

Cheers

Rf