RE: table shrink

  • From: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:50:30 -0600

Thank you, Mark

Based on the oracle's recomendation, about 1 G will be kept in the table
and about 40G+ will be released.  Does that this mean that the max
undo I will need is 1G?

Thank you

Eugene Gurevich

             "Mark W. Farnham"
             <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
             12/07/2009 11:29          <ahmusch@xxxxxxxxx>,
             AM                        <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc
                                       <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: table shrink

For a quick rough estimate, remember that the only undo you'll get from the
empty blocks is a tiny amount from the space management. It is also very
unlikely that any block lower in extent order than the first empty block
can
move. Finally, the total of blocks that still do have contents is a rough
ceiling on the undo, so if you're keeping less than you're shrinking that
is
a consideration.

If you can be out of action a bit, create table as select to keep the rows
you want to retain is probably the cheapest thing unless the amount kept is
greater than two times (and then measurements are required and the results
vary depending on indexes, etc.) the amount to be shuffled, and you might
have an opportunity to order the select so that in your destination your
most frequently used access path gets the best possible cluster score and
lowest cost for both the CBO and actual run time. Then of course you
probably do a rename and re-index.