table shrink

  • From: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 09:46:47 -0600

Hello everyone:

I am researching alter table shrink space command in 10.2.0.3 before I try
it in production. According to oracle adviser, there is a table that can be
shrank
to release over 40G of space and another which can release over 100G. I
plan to execute the commands during a maintenance window to minimize the
usage of these tables.  I have run a small test in dev and saw that these
command have been using undo tablespace. That tablespace is only 20G
in my database. Does it need to match the size of the 'freeable' disk
space, in other word do I need to increase it to about 100G? I also was
told that
i can cancel this command any time (in case there is a performance
degradation) and whatever disk space has been released will stay released
and
I can run the command again to release the rest of the disk space. I have
not been able to find this in any oracle documentation however. I don't
have any table in dev to test a large shrink command.

If anyone had any experience with this command, can you please address my
questions on undo TS and cancelling the command please. I am
alsowondering whether there is any downside to this operation.

Thank you

Eugene Gurevich