Re: systemd issues

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 23:56:18 -0400

Hi!

I have tested it on OL 7.6 but OL 7.6 still supports sysvinit emulation and the old scripts work fine. I had the service file in /etc/systemd/system and I copied dbstart and dbshut into /usr/local/bin.  I created the environment file /etc/default/oracle. That has worked if there was only a single home. The trick was to create two services, not one. One would fire on startup, the other one on shutdown. However, I was never able to resolve the situation with more than one Oracle home. I finally gave up because sysvinit emulation doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. It is not removed from the upcoming RH 8:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8-beta/html/8.0_beta_release_notes/removed_functionality

That should give me another 5 years or so of sysvinit bliss. Hopefully, until then, the people will come to their senses and document the systemd a bit better, so that administrators can write service scripts. The main problem with systemd is that it is developing fast and there is no documentation for it. I am not sure what kind of magic was used to persuade SuSE, Canonical, Red Hat and GNU Foundation to switch to systemd, but it must have been a business decision. If only one of the above has remained faithful to the good, old sysvinit, it would have swept the other ones off the market. I am not a fan of systemd and will not adopt it unless I have to. People are coming to their senses. Brtfs, once touted as the best thing since sliced bread, is fading away into oblivion.

Regards

On 5/1/19 4:00 PM, Michael Schmitt wrote:

Hi Oracle-l

Has anyone had any luck getting systemd to play nicely with Oracle databases?  It seems like every document I have read offers different suggestions and each of those come with their own set of issues

The main issue we are having is systemd killing the oracle processes in different circumstances (when databases are manually restarted due to cold backups/patching/etc).  We really just want systemd to call our custom startup/shutdown scripts when the server reboots (and shutdown the database in advance of the network), instead of trying to manage the database processes

Thanks in advance

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant