RE: synchronizing database on linux and windows ?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nileshkum@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 15:03:07 -0400

I'm a bit confused by your use of the phrase "so that data on both the
databases are synchronous" together with the subject line "synchronizing."

In the thread you've been given a few suggestions about ultimately
"synchronizing" your databases (together with appropriate caveats about what
might be appropriate depending on your load and volume).

However, if you truly want the data on both databases to be synchronous, and
since you cannot RAC across different platform types, you will need to
utilize two phase commit in your application.

Oracle's two phase commit protocol is razored down to extreme efficiency
compared to what must be done to achieve the goal. Even so, it is a high
overhead if you don't truly need synchronization.

What is your real service level requirement? Is there an acceptable non-zero
lag time during which the databases may diverge as updates arrive? Are
updates allowed at both locations? Might conflicting updates be attempted at
different locations? (If so, you'll need a tie breaking protocol.)

Regards,

mwf

  _____