Re: superblock backups, ASM vs OCFS2

  • From: "Jeremy Schneider" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 07:46:21 -0600

I totally agree about always using partitions in Linux.

However in this particular case the ASMLIB labels were created on top
of entire disks - and I don't think that ASMLIB never issued any
warnings about not using partitions.  (I don't remember ever seeing
any warnings - is this a new feature in 11g?)  FYI, this was a rushed
setup of a test environment for some basic load testing...  I always
create partitions for production setups and somehow this particular
case was the exception.  (I don't remember; they may have had ASM
setup for this machine before I arrived onsite.  The entire setup and
load testing of five different platforms was done in 4 days, according
to their requirements.)

An SA apparently went in later and created partition tables and LVM
labels on the partitions.  I'm pretty sure that partition tables are
written at the *end* of the first block - which is why the ASMLIB
labels were fine (at the top of the block).  And the LVM labels were
in the partition - corrupting the ASM disk headers but leaving the
ASMLIB labels untouched again.

It was actually a pretty tricky situation to figure out at first -
they called back several months after I'd come onsite to do the
testing and wanted help figuring out why they couldn't mount the ASM
disks.  And I assumed that I'd made the partitions at first and
couldn't figure out why the ASM disk headers didn't point to the
partitions.  Took a little detective work.  :)

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL