RE: stupid question on FTS

  • From: "Uzzell, Stephan" <SUzzell@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'vasudevanr@xxxxxxxxx'" <vasudevanr@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:09:16 +0000

Are you seeing an FTS on the whole table? Or on a partition?

We've seen something similar - with a very large table with monthly partitions.
It *seems* to us that the 10g stats job that collects stale stats looks at the
table as a whole, not the partition. Because the new monthly partitions are so
small relative to the table, they don't trigger the collect stale stats job.
Therefore Oracle has no stats on the new partitions, thinks they are tiny,
thinks the FTS will be cheap, and chooses that over a more appropriate index
scan.

We're still working on how to best manage statistics for the new partitions...

Stephan Uzzell