Re: streams vs. replication

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:49:42 -0400

Joe,

Oracle 10.1.0.4
Redhat AS 2.1 and 4.0

 I have set up streams to replicate DDL and DML on a table from the new prod
server to a
test box. When we are completely migrated to the new prod server I will
replicate 110 tables
that will be updated through out the day. The set up was confusing at times but
works great
and is fast. I am using this method because I berfore backups at 0130 and do
not want to loose
any data if I have a severe hardware failure during the day. I am only
streaming a portion of the
tables as that is all that change during the day.

 I used the info from Note: 224255.1 Be sure to follow the instructioins
exactly and always use
tableowner.tablename notations. Make no assumptions that streams will know what
you want to do.

  Also the Note: 273674.1 Streams Configuration Report and Health Check Script
is a valuable tool. I would
recommend that you download it and view the report for errors.  Run as SYS (
commect out the line in the script.)
and spool as an html file for viewing with the browser.
 If you can see my ITAR 4500019.993 it explains the steps I used and the
resolution to correct the
problems encountered. The support person was very knowledgeable and helpfull.

Let me know if I can help.
Ron

>>> "Joe Smith" <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx> 07/21/05 9:32 AM >>>
List,

I need advice on how to approach a task.  I need to "replicate" 6 tables
across 6 Sun Servers with of course their own oracle instance.  This is
9iRel2, 9.2.0.5.0.

Any change made to any of the tables needs to be replicated to all the other
tables.  This is just DML changes. These tables are small.

Should I use traditional Oracle Replication or tackle it with Oracle
Streams?

I realize from reading the manuals that replication is included within
Streams, but I just want to make sure that my approach is right.

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks.