Re: storage and filesystems on linux (ocfs2, ASM...)

  • From: Jonathan Smith <smithj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:15:00 -0800

On 06/13/2011 03:05 PM, D'Hooge Freek wrote:
> Oracle is doing syncing for you.
> When you use local homes, the installer will clone the software to the other
> nodes at the end of the installation.

I didn't know that; thanks for the info. That makes individual-node installs
much more palatable.

> I'm not familiar enough with ocfs2 to know if there are some timeouts on that
> level.

There are. ocfs2 has its own quorum and timeout values, which are different
from those in CRS. Frustrating.

> In Redhat / OL 5 it is possible to add / remove luns (or paths to luns)
> without forcing the HBA to rescan the fabric (I have done so last week).

Oddly, when we manually initiate a scan, it never causes a panic. The panics
are seen when the FC driver detects an event on the fabric and initiates its
own scan.

> In your orginal post you said that your system crashed on average once a week
> because of this rescanning. Is so often that something changes to the paths
> between your rac nodes and the storage?

We're not actually running RAC. We're running single-instance on a cluster in
failover-only mode. Long story.

We've noticed the rescans happening for even trivial events, such as a hard
disk dying, or a new drive being plugged into the array. We're not sure why
that is, but the HP folks are looking into it.

        Jonathan Smith