Re: stats document links.

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:59:11 +0000

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 4:18 AM, Greg Rahn <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If the data has not changed or significantly changed, then there is no
> reason to regather unless one wants to appear productive and burn up
> system resources  :)
>
> http://structureddata.org/2008/03/26/choosing-an-optimal-stats-gathering-strategy/

The most common reason for object stats significantly changing that I come
across is the use of date (or sequence based) columns in queries. (or people
that arbitrarily delete a third of their data to see if it will aid
performance ). GATHER_STALE will deal with this, but I must admit I'd like
the ability to tell oracle that 5% (or 50%) change made things stale instead
of a fixed (undocumented if you use the default job) parameter. If anyone
incorrectly picks arbitrary values on my database it should be me!

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA