Re: starting the database

  • From: "stephen booth" <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Nirmalya Das" <nirmalya@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:09:15 +0100

On 01/05/06, Nirmalya Das <nirmalya@xxxxxxx> wrote:

The only problem of checking just the "pmon" is that the database can be on
"mount" or "nomount" state and "ps -ef | grep pmon" will still return the
desired result and will give the impression that it is "up".

True, but it's horses for courses. The environment I'm in I need a quick check that doesn't require being able to login as the 'oracle' user or, indeed, any member of the 'dba' group doesn't need to store any usernames or passwords.

Also the script I use is run from a dedicated machine via rsh to
perform a series of tasks on databases on several machines (same
script, just change the settings each time).  Also, in this
environment the database is typically going to be fully up or fully
down, if it's in nomount or mount state then that's a pointer that it
is being worked on.

Any solution has it's pluses and minuses.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/