Re: standby database

  • From: Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kp0773@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 19:42:36 -0600

As long as you plan and configure everything correctly, NFS can be just
fine.

That means using a "supported" NFS server, supported mount options, a sane
network configuration, etc.  Do your homework, be prepared to spend an
appropriate amount of money, and you will be fine.

Like Bradd, I have seen Oracle-on-NFS work swimmingly when done well, but I
have seen it work very poorly indeed when under-provisioned or
misconfigured.  From at least Oracle9, the database software will refuse to
open an instance (or to do backups) when you have the mount options wrong,
but nobody (except maybe your customers) is going to prevent you from trying
to run your NFS over a congested 10 Mbit network.

Cheers,
-- Mark.

--
Cheers,