RE: standby config --> FAL_SERVER / FAL_CLIENT

  • From: <k.sriramkumar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:43:41 +0530

Hi Prem,

My replies inline=20

Best Regards

Sriram Kumar

-----Original Message-----
From: Prem Khanna J [mailto:jprem@xxxxxxxxxxxx]=20
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 2:09 PM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: K Sriram Kumar-RT
Subject: RE: standby config --> FAL_SERVER / FAL_CLIENT

Hi Sriram ,=20

Thanx for your timely reply .

>>I had faced the same situation sometime back. I fought it out=20
>>by digging to the Dataguard guide.Pls follow this
>>FAL_SERVER =3D3D <Primary_Server TNS Entry> in Standby Database
>>FAL_CLIENT =3D3D<Standby Server TNS Entry> in the primary database.

but the data guard docs say that both of these should be set on
standby database. that's what confused me. okay , let me try as u said.

>>I guess the "no data loss mode " isin't called that way any more
>>You have MAXIMIZE PROTECTION -- This Equates to no data loss mode.
>>MAXIMIZE AVAILABILITY MAXIMIZE PERFORMANCE

u r right sriram . that is what i meant . Maximum Protection mode .

>>For Setting the database in Maximize protection mode
>>Set this parameter in primary database.
>>log_archive_dest_2=3D3D'service=3D3D<standby> reopen=3D3D60 MANDATORY =
LGWR =3D
>>SYNC AFFIRM'   Also,Set this parameter in the standby
>>standby_file_management=3D3Dauto -- This would enable automatic =
creation
>>of datafiles in the standby

i have set these parameters too.The docs say that DGS_BROKER_START=20
should be set on both primary and standby database . is it so ?=20
Docs sometimes seem to be unreliable : (=20

Sri:I have managed to run without the DG broker framework. I did'nt set =
any of the DGS parameters

>>Would be glad to help you out
happy that u are there to help out : )=20

and regarding online redo logs of the primary database :=20
if the server ( where the primary database resides ) goes down and all
the HDD
are lost ( bad luck ) ... there would be some data loss . am i right ?=20
what can be done to avoid this ? can the online redo logs be placed on=20
an external storage ( ... like NAS ) ?  OR am i OFF the track regarding
online redo logs ?

Sri:Well the moment you say its maximize protection(Zero data loss), The =
LGWR takes charge of ensuring that the Logfiles and the remote standby =
redolog files are in sync. The transaction would be signaled a commit =
iff the transaction is applied to log file and the standby redolog file. =
So don't worry abt placing your log files in a Shared storage you wont =
need them for this protection mode

Thanks and Regards,
Prem.

DISCLAIMER:
This message contains privileged and confidential information and is =
intended only for the individual named.If you are not the intended =
recipient you should not disseminate,distribute,store,print, copy or =
deliver this message.Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if =
you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from =
your system.E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or =
error-free as information could be =
intercepted,corrupted,lost,destroyed,arrive late or incomplete or =
contain viruses.The sender therefore does not accept liability for any =
errors or omissions in the contents of this message which arise as a =
result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please =
request a hard-copy version.