Re: standby and Oracle licensing

  • From: MARK BRINSMEAD <mark.brinsmead@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:01:27 -0700

As I recall, the rules have been thus for at
least 3 to 5 years.  If this is a change in policy,
it's not an especially recent one...

You are correct in one regard.  "Standby" (DataGuard)
as a database feature is provided free of charge
with Enterprise Edition.  It's just the standby
database itself that is not free.

I'm afraid I can't say whether it has *always*
been this way, just that it has been for as long
as I have been doing my own licensing research.
(I.e., since I stopped trusting what the sales
reps tell me.  Some of those guys will say almost
*anything*!)

Bear in mind this:  today's licensing policies may
or may not apply to you.  If you are an
"established" site, you are probably governed by
the license that was in effect at the time of your
purchase.  (Or not.)  If you are a large site,
you may have a specially negotiated license that
bears little or no resemblance to the "OLSA",
the so-called "standard" license that we are
discussing here.

In either case, it might be highly advisable to
do some searching within your corporate offices to
see whether (and how) *your* actual licenses differ
from the "standard" one...