Re: standards

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 18:12:11 +1000

david wendelken apparently said,on my timestamp of 6/08/2004 1:50 AM:

> It used to be easy in forms, (one could save the form in the database and
> query the code),

Good old times...  I wrote a C program eons ago to manipulate
the Financials API forms code and translate it to something that forms
3 could understand.  Worked a treat.  That was the last time I
seriously played with the Forms source.

 > They made a C api available, but C isn't my favorite language to write in.

and it isn't much fun to use a proprietary API either...

 > Haven't tried out 9i's xml-based file yet, but that should be simpler to
manipulate.

You must.  It simply ROCKS!  Would be lost in the current project
without it.  Unfortunately, it is not exactly bi-directional:
you can't go forms->xml, then go xml->forms and end up with exactly
the same screen layout.   There are still some minor losses on
the conversion.  Mind you: this is 9i.  I'm told in 10g it is
"all fixed".  Then again: I've been told that about every single
release of Oracle since 5...

;)

--
Cheers