RE: sreadtim and mreadtim < 1ms

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <rjoralist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 15:35:13 -0700

Hey Rich, please see responses below.

Thanks,
Brandon

> you're sure that the low values are due to OS caching?

        It's mostly OS caching, but some SAN caching also - either way Oracle's
'physical reads' are very rarely true physical reads so they are almost always
occurring in < 1ms

> I tried to see what a 10053 trace says for me, but that info doesn't appear
> to be available in the trace on 10.1

        It was added in 10.2.0.1 according to Jonathan Lewis' Cost-Based Oracle
Fundamentals (p.18)

> It could always be a reporting problem in the trace

        True, I'm doing more testing to see if the values are actually being
used or not.