Re: sort_area_size and hash_area_size

  • From: "David Sharples" <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 22:25:07 +0100

Do you have pga_aggregate_target set and work_areaaize_policy to automatic
(the defaults for 9i) becuase if you are and you are not using shared server
then the *_area_size parameters arent used

On 04/07/06, Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thank you,Hi David,
   I'm working on 9.2.0.6

    Oliver

** The information in this e-mail message including any attachment is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, or are not the named recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender by replying to the message and deleting all copies of it from your computer. **

  *"David Sharples" <davidsharples@xxxxxxxxx>*

07/04/2006 01:54 PM
 Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  cc
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Subject
Re: sort_area_size and hash_area_size

oracle version?

On 04/07/06, *Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx* <Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<*Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
* <Oliver.Jost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi All,
 I did some testing on this quite some time ago and was hoping to have a
refresher.... I have an application with a particularly nasty view... given
that I can not go in and fix the view without breaching protocol, I was
going to increase the sort area size and hash area size at the session
level.... Now that I'm revisiting this I remember there were some
considerations for negatively impacting performance.  After failing to find
any information on this negative impact... does anyone know of some
considerations I should make before going forward?