Re: so get a load of this - venting on support

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 08:02:35 -0500

Niall-
Startup Upgrade incantation?  I like that phraseology.

In the past have been accused of sacrificing a goat at midnight on my
keyboard myself.  Now your developers are going to accuse you of casting
spells on the computer...

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Presumably a la Note 370366.1? If so I'd be wondering what the
> improper entries were, how they got there and if there was an
> alternative (like removing the invalid entries). Now that note is
> suspiciously lacking version numbers, which given the advent of FAST
> DUAL in 10g might be somewhat problematic. They should however really
> point you at How to Recreate Dual Table (Doc ID 1163714.1) for this
> issue since this has the correct (IIRC) startup upgrade incantation!.
> Assuming that this is a fair summary of your problem I'd definitely
> give the feedback on what happened and how the response could have
> been improved (or indeed made to be accurate!). Is this by any chance
> a much upgraded database?
>
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:32 PM, <TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > a SR is opened due to an issue with dbms_metadata.get_ddl.
> >
> > Solution:  drop and recreate sys.dual,
> >
> > so the junior DBA does as said and now can't recreate due to ORA-1775
> > looping chain of synonyms.  I'm biting my tongue to not give support a
> > real piece of my mind, oh and this was to an escalated individual.
> >
> > He comes and sees me to get it fixed, google comes to rescue on how to
> fix
> > it but geez support, REALLY, DROP DUAL????
> >
> > joe
> >

> > --
> > //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l
> >

> --