Re: slightly OT: another free oracle resource profiler

  • From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mcdonald.connor@xxxxxxxxx, Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 01:16:15 -0700 (PDT)

Well said Connor.

These tools are very good but for more advanced Oracle
technicians tkprof + v$ views + simple OS commands are
giving you all the necessary info for free.
Need to admit that only ugly thing for me is to get
graph representation in Excell for the spread of time
spent on some action/SQL/...

At the end without understanding what is application
doing you are not going to understand fully the
profiler results either.

Usual target should be people without good Oracle
understanding where they can just switch tracing and
get nice graphs and info about what is the problem.
But at the end my understanding that these tools are
more used by people who understand what they are or
people who admire people working in these companies.

For example it will be nice to hear some statistics
details who is using Hotsos profiler and how?
I bet that it is more about good companies with good
Oracle DBA/Developers then vice versa. These
people/companies usually want to excell in the Oracle
area.

Also the point that the tool needs to be in some
specific language is not telling anything about the
tool.
Just to tell that Java has proper bulk DML API while
Perl does not, so Java will in most of the batch
processing beat Perl in pure Oracle interaction
processing. Try to insert 100k records in java and in
Perl and see the difference.

Of course Perl will be the winner when doing simple
DBA scripting tasks, as Oracle using Perl for EM 10g
Control to gather OS/db info/stats, while using Java
technology for iAS/EM console GUI and so on.

So, I will not protect neither Java or Perl profilers
or some other language profilers, if they are doing
the great job to give you good info and give you nice
graphs/statistics to show somebody.

Regards,
Zoran Martic

http://mail.yahoo.com