Re: silly dbms_stats question

  • From: Thomas Day <tomdaytwo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yong321@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 07:57:16 -0400

Does Oracle use stale stats for the CBO if fresh stats aren't available or
does Oracle treat stale stats the same as non-existant stats?  Is there a
way, other than re-analyzing the table or index, to keep stats from being
marked as stale?

We have tables that are being truncated nightly and then being re-loaded
with data that is 99.99% identical with the previsous data.  (Don't bother
telling me that we shouldn't be doing it that way; I have to play with the
cards I'm dealt.)  I have the schema stats locked and the automatic stats
job is disabled.  (It insisted on computing new stats on the table when it
was at 0 rows.)  Oracle is marking the stats as STALE.

Other than exporting the good stats and re-importing them daily, is there
any way to stop Oracle from marking the stats as stale?