Re: shutdown immediate

  • From: <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Roman Podshivalov" <roman.podshivalov@xxxxxxxxx>, "Mir M. Mirhashimali" <mhyder@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:41:58 -0500

Thanks. I am pretty sure that this is the case.

thank you

Gene Gurevich

             "Roman
             Podshivalov"
             <roman.podshivalo                                          To
             v@xxxxxxxxx>              genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc
             07/25/2008 03:10          oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             PM                                                    Subject
                                       Re: shutdown immediate

Hi,

I saw this happening in the scenario like:
- there is a long running transaction running in the database
- somebody shutdown abort the instance
- startup
- shutdown immediate right after the startup when we still have instance
recovery running

In such situation shutdown immediate will wait until instance recovery
completes.

--romas

On 7/25/08, genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx <genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello.

  I am trying to shutdown immediate a database (10.2.0.3). Normally it
  takes
  couple of minutes. this time it has been
  running for about 25 min. When I look at the alert.log, I see already 4
  log
  switches ( I have 3 logfile groups) and I
  wonder what could be the reason it is taking such a long time. I also
  don't
  remember seeing all the logswitches
  after the shutdown immediate.

  Would appreciate any thoughts