RE: shutdown abort warnings

  • From: "Hostetter, Jay M" <JHostetter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 08:29:33 -0400

I was in an Oracle class many years ago (Oracle 7) where the instructor
said to issue a "alter system checkpoint" prior to the "shutdown abort".
He claimed this was much safer than just issuing the "shutdown abort".
This seems to make sense - your syncing all the files before the
shutdown.

Several years ago we experienced corruption with "shutdown abort".  IIRC
it was the controlfiles that were corrupted.  It would have been 8i on
Tru64, but that's the best I can remember.  At the time we were also
having some issues with the firmware on the SAN controllers.  In any
case, I am now in the habit of issuing the "alter system checkpoint"
first.

Jay