RE: shutdown abort to move data files

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:59:30 -0400

OK, I stand corrected.  Immediate use to wait for current transactions =
to complete, shutdown transactional is the replacement in that case.  =
Shutdown normal waits for all sessions to close normally.  And I beg to =
differ on SMON cleaning up temp.  It is VERY fast at that task even if =
you have GB of temp in use.  On the other hand after an abort SMON will =
be one VERY busy puppy rolling back all those uncommitted transactions =
that you left around.  I use immediate a lot & don't have problems with =
it, except if we have to shutdown at an unaccounced/uncordinated time.  =
Then yes, it can take a significant amount of time to do it's thing.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA