RE: should I analyze system statistics on ORACLE 10GR2?

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oratune@xxxxxxxxx>, <deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx>, <mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 17:09:24 -0500

This is a common confusion between collecting statistics on the objects in
the sys and system schemas versus collecting system statistics, which are
the metrics of how the resources of the operating system respond.

If someone asks about system statistics the default understanding is the
latter. I didn't decide to overload the use of these words, I'm just
reporting the usage as I understand it for clarity. (Shades of partition for
storage versus aggregate functions).

If I recall correctly JL has a post describing more in depth what I'll write
as briefly as can: It is hazardous to performance to actually collect system
statistics, because the tendency is to collect them any time other than when
the system is at peak load. Plugging in decent numbers representative of the
system capabilities at peak load will tend to help the optimizer to get
things right. Feeding the optimizer unrealistic system statistics by any
means, including collecting them at a period of near idleness will tend to
make the optimizer add things up into bad choices.

mwf