Re: shmall on Linux recommendation

  • From: Surachart Opun <surachart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 01:32:11 +0700

From RedHAT
if you:
# grep Hugepagesize /proc/meminfo
Hugepagesize:     2048 kB

Yes, You see KB, But In formula:
# grep Hugepagesize /proc/meminfo|awk '{print $2}'
2048

So, huge (variable) = 2048
You should be 51539607552 / 2048 = ??? (shmall)

That is redhat idea, However you should look at less shmall value should be,
If you set less than that ... you can not start database

Example: You plan use sga_target=51539607552 and PAGE_SIZE=4096 ... shmall
>= 12582912

I think you should look at Oracle recommend.
MEM=$(free|grep Mem|awk '{print$2}')
PAGE_SIZE=$(getconf PAGE_SIZE)

shmall=$MEM/$PAGE_SIZE

Surachart Opun