RE: sheltered little world i live in -> NODB?

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chris.stephens@xxxxxxx" <chris.stephens@xxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 17:02:05 +0000

Humm, Uncle Bob sounds like a number of other  pundits running around, but
mostly on FOX news and the like.  People who are convinced that they are always
100% right and everyone else is 100% wrong even when they agree.  But at the
same time these folks are not 100% right or wrong either.  There has been many
a software project that I've seen that starts out trying to design a schema
with no idea of what their dealing with.  These mostly fall into one of two
categories 1) those that build too big a data model so that it is totally
unwieldy and 2) those that build too simple a model.  There are also those
projects that from the start have a single database vendor in mind and will not
vary from their choice.  All tend to be miserable failures in the end.  So
Uncle Bob's point about making the rdbms a center point of what you are doing
is correct and you can't really decide that until you have looked at the use
cases/requirements/needs.  Will you need a big honking database engine, or a
nosql midget or would a simple csv file suffice.  The answer, as has been
stated many times on the list, is "it depends".

        Also I really like the motto of his 8th Light company.  Software
without errors.  Really, do they deal in miracles??

Richard Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA TEAM Lead