Re: shared server implementation in Oracle 11G R2

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2017 17:35:37 -0400

With shared server PGA comes from SGA. That means that PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET is not used, among other things. With the automatic shared memory management (ASMM), you don't need to allocate shared pool, but you do need to allocate significantly larger SGA. BTW, that is the case even with multithreaded implementation of 12c.

Regards

On 08/03/2017 02:34 PM, Beckstrom Jeffrey wrote:

Back in Oracle 9i, we had implemented shared server on 32-bit hardware. With migration to 10g and 64-bit hardware we eliminated shared server. Now on 11g r2 and thinking of implementing it until which time we can add memory to the server.

Back in 9i days, shared server required a large_pool and did not use pga_aggregate_target. Is this still true?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator
Information Technology Department
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

--
Mladen Gogala