sharable memory issues

  • From: "Terry Sutton" <terrysutton@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:47:21 -0700

I'm dealing with a situation where there are lots of reloads of queries for a
database.  There are actually 2 databases, which are roughly identical (I
realized the risks of the term "roughly").  One database isn't doing lots of
reloads and the other is, even though the queries executed against each are
very similar.  I have found queries which are identical (they look identical to
my eyes, and they have the same hash value) but use different amounts of
sharable memory.  In one case a query uses 25409 bytes on database DB1 and
32801 on database DB2.  The difference doesn't always favor DB1; there is one
query which uses 25278 bytes on DB1 and 9890 bytes on DB2.  But the overall
totals of a certain class of query wind up using much more sharable memory on
DB2.
Increasing the shared pool could reduce the reloading, but I hate doing that if
I can solve the problem otherwise, because of potential latching issues.  Can
anyone suggest why identical queries could be using different amounts of
sharable memory?  If I can possibly reduce the sharable memory consumed, it
would be better than increasing the shared pool.

Thanks,

Terry