RE: setting of audit_trail initialization parameter

  • From: Don Granaman <DonGranaman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx" <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-freelist <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 11:05:13 -0500

It is actually quite easy to run queries against V$XML_AUDIT_TRAIL - IFF the
XML audit data exists in the expected location (AUDIT_FILE_DEST), the index
file is accurate and you are running on 11gR2.  Prior to 11gR2, there are a
number of serious bugs with XML, but the most crippling may be one which causes
queries against V$XML_AUDIT_TRAIL to crash when the index file (adx_<SID>.txt)
becomes too large.  (In our biggest 10g system, this would occur about twice a
day!)  There are still some significant bugs in XML in even the latest
releases, but it seems to be usable.

Don Granaman | Ph: 402-361-3073 | Cell: 402-960-6955  | Solutionary - Relevant