Re: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

  • From: Alex <stant_98@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx, thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:39:18 -0800 (PST)

That is precisely the point I can still remember from Oracle university classes
I took in 1998 on Oracle 8.
Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:15:06 -0500,
Mercadante, Thomas F
wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> In my view, separating indexes and tables was never about tablespace
> contention. It was always about moving the index and table files onto
> separate disk drives to avoid disk contention.

Hi Tom,

Separating Tables from Indexes is good for managing different types of objects.

How would separating them enhance performance?

In a multi-user system with several sessions selecting, inserting, deleting and
modifying data, separating the indexes from the tables would not seem to
have any performance benefit.

Even if there is only one user on the system, indexes must be read before
the table is read ( if the table is read at all). They aren't
actually in contention.

--
Jared Still

http://mail.yahoo.com