RE: separate owner/ORACLE_HOME for crs, ASM, and database in RAC environment

  • From: "William Wagman" <wjwagman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <finn.oracledba@xxxxxxxxx>, <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 15:14:31 -0800

Greetings,

The thinking is to separate CRS, ASM and RDBMS for ease of maintenance.
This is also the Oracle suggestion that each be in a separate home. It
makes patching and upgrading easier.

As to the disk issues. First are you using ASMLIB? Make sure if you are
it is configured correctly and the disks have been created.

Also look at the status of this disks as described in v$asm_disk. They
status must be either provisioned or candidate. I have encountered this
situation before where the status was unknown and that caused me
problems.

Also, are you using multipathing? If so make sure you have scanorder and
scanexclude set correctly in the oracleasm file as that can affect
things. There was a thread about this a while ago.

I apologize for not being more specific but I still don't have a good
enough understanding of how things work. A lot of what I have done is
through trial and error and can give you things to look at but that's
about it at this point.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center