Re: seconds_in_wait

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, hostetter.jay@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 14:43:50 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Jay,

I mean that I had waited around 122 seconds. If there was an issue with the
SGA time or system time, I would expect the astronomical number I see
for my log file parallel write wait event.

Ah ok, i just missed the negation in your sentence. However you can not
reproduce it at will and it is a sporadic issue. So it is even harder to trace
and capture.

Yes, they are running on VMWare, on different guests.

Can you please check the VTKM trace file (in DIAG directory) for large time
drifts then - especially at the time window when you hit this
seconds_in_wait issue?

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

Jay Hostetter <hostetter.jay@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 23. September 2015 um 13:23
geschrieben:

Stefan,

>Do you mean that it shows 122 seconds, but you have waited much less?

I mean that I had waited around 122 seconds. If there was an issue with the
SGA time or system time, I would expect the astronomical number I see
for my log file parallel write wait event.

>If this is the current (correct) time and the query still returns the wrong
seconds_in_wait at this point in time then it may likely be caused by
>the stored start time of the wait event (which is also based on epoch time).

I agree. I believe it is this particular wait event.

>Are these two databases virtualized in some kind of way (e.g. VMware, etc.)?

Yes, they are running on VMWare, on different guests.

Thank you,
Jay