seconds_in_wait

  • From: Jay Hostetter <hostetter.jay@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 08:44:35 -0400

(reposting with the correct email address )

I have a query that monitors for sessions that are "stuck" on non-idle wait
events.

select username, sid, event, seconds_in_wait
from gv$session
where wait_class != 'Idle'
and seconds_in_wait > 300

I've discovered that over time, this query will catch the the LGWR session
with a seconds_in_wait value that is extremely high for "log file parallel
write" (e.g.1442837632). There is no way that the log writer is waiting
this long. I've been trying to search for any known bugs related to wait
events. I just wanted to check with the list to see if anyone has ever run
into this issue or has any insight. The query seems to be fine, In this
particular case, the database has been up for only 45 days.

Oracle EE 11.2.0.3.15 on SUSE Linux 11.

Thank you,
Jay