RE: script to see explain plan

  • From: "Siva Valiveru" <SValiveru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>, <wojciech.skrzynecki@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:10:30 -0700

One case actual execution plan do bind peeking where as explain plan
does not, that can differ plan for first time execution.  If you are
running into case where actual plan differ from explain plan/set
autotrace may be use the method shown below.

http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/how_to_explain.html

________________________________

        From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>

        > One detail that may seem subtle, but it's important. Notice
that EXPLAIN
        > PLAN doesn't show an execution plan, it shows a *predicted*
execution
        > plan. Contrast this to the notion that there's a real
execution plan in
        > your trace data (if you've activated it) or in your V$ fixed
views, but
        > only after having executed the query in question.
        >

        > Cary Millsap
        > Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
        > http://www.hotsos.com
        > Nullius in verba
        >
        > Hotsos Symposium 2007 / March 4-8 / Dallas
        > Visit www.hotsos.com for curriculum and schedule details...

Skrzynecki