Re: scope

  • From: Bill Zakrzewski <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 14:32:01 -0400

From the manual.....
SCOPE
The SCOPE clause lets you specify when the change takes effect. Scope depends
on whether you started up the database using a traditional plain-text parameter
file (pfile) or server parameter file (spfile).

MEMORY indicates that the change is made in memory, takes effect immediately,
and persists until the database is shut down. If you started up the database
using a parameter file (pfile), then this is the only scope you can specify.

SPFILE indicates that the change is made in the server parameter file. The new
setting takes effect when the database is next shut down and started up again.
You must specify SPFILE when changing the value of a static parameter that is
described as not modifiable in Oracle Database Reference.

BOTH indicates that the change is made in memory and in the server parameter
file. The new setting takes effect immediately and persists after the database
is shut down and started up again.

If a server parameter file was used to start up the database, then BOTH is the
default. If a parameter file was used to start up the database, then MEMORY is
the default, as well as the only scope you can specify.

Bill